Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Power Electronics

I made some progress last weekend on my controller. I soldered most of the high voltage power components and here are some nice photos of it. I was a little afraid to do this step for a while since I had never soldered larger components before, but it seems like I did fine. When I finish assembling the whole controller I will hook it up to a small battery and start testing it to make sure it is working properly.
It is a bit more beefy than I thought it would be, which is a good thing
Close up of the Mosfets - The pads I haven't soldered yet are for the resistors that connect the power section with the brain
Diodes on the left and Capacitors on the right
Soldering on the back side of the board

I need to get some thermal grease for the base plate and a good glue that can withstand heat to glue a couple components down, then I should be ready to put the whole thing together with the brain section and put it in the case. I had hoped to be almost down with this project by now, but as these things go it takes a lot longer then expected, especially if you have a full time job and a family. It also doesn't help that I have never done any of this before so I am unsure about stuff and hesitant to jump in at times. My new goal is to get it done by the end of the year and start the new year with the EV Grin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment