Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Photos of Transmission, clutch hub and wrong adapter plate

I am posting these photos so I can easily link to them for the guys who are going to re-do the adapter plate and coupler.
Adapter plate held against the transmission
Left holes of Adapter plate don't line up
Clutch disk
Clutch disk with coupler - Note size difference of Spline
I think the coupler is only an 1/8" off, but I am sending my clutch disk along with a tracing of my bell housing back to them. Maybe in a week and a half or so I can start mating these parts. In the mean time, I need to finish building the controller, so I need to make a trip to Fry's to get some larger solder for the power board. Also, I really need to sit down and make a list of the things that need to be done and then put them in some sort of sensible order, so we can start moving down the list and checking things off.

3 comments:

  1. OK, so that is the coupler sent to you. In my opinion that is a very bad design. The small contact area of the set screw on the key isn't enough to hold the key and coupler on the motor shaft with the type of loads applied in this case. The coupler will walk off the shaft, sliding down the spline,until it gets to the end of the shaft where it will disengage with a huge bang! Unfortunately this will probably destroy the motor shaft and coupler in the process.

    Also, without being firmly attached to the shaft(such as with a press fit or a tapered bushing), the shaft and coupling might be subject to fret wear (look it up).

    Get another opinion about this- talk to the electroauto.com people. They been dealing with this kind of problem for over 30 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    I agree with the last post. Check out this site, I think that they have the right idea. This is the adaptor that I would use.
    http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/adaptors.shtml

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well wouldn't you know it. You recommend a company to someone and a couple of weeks later you find out the co. has apparently gone flaky! I still think you're going to have problems with the set screw over key type coupler.Although it looks like it would make a good throwing star.

    ReplyDelete