Saturday, February 4, 2012

Riveting

So I ordered a $20 tool to install the rivnuts since my homebrew version did not do so well in tests. This tool performed adequately today and I have added two rivnuts and a support bar for a battery rack to the car. One of the rivnuts was off just a tad, but not enough to hurt anything, so I installed the support bar. I also cut a few pieces of angle iron to use as brackets and, at one point, my thumb got a little too close to the angle grinder. I am missing some skin but all is well.

I also ordered some Stainless Steel bolts, washers, and nuts for various things, as well as some nylon spacers I will use in securing my control board. I still need some nylon washers for the bolts on the control board to isolate the control board from the body of the car. Not everyone does this but I thought it would be a good idea.

Support bar for Firewall Battery Rack is installed

With the unfinished Firewall Rack sitting on it


It doesn't look like much, but today was a big victory for me since I made and installed the support bar on my own. (Except the RivNut idea, which JRP3 from diyelectriccar gave me)

I am hoping to take my racks and the little bracket pieces I made to Bruce's next weekend to do some welding. I may ask him to drill some holes in the angle iron as well, since he has a drill press and can do it much easier than my hand drill.

After that I will move on to cutting out a big piece of aluminum for the control board.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. I would love to talk with you via email sometime. kai.justice@vanair.com

    ReplyDelete