Sunday, February 12, 2012

Re-mount

This weekend I got the motor mount fixed and some welding done on the battery racks. The motor mount was more trouble than I thought. It came off fine and Bruce cut some excess off the top and bottom of one side, and then gave me some rubber to glue to the inside to help it grip the motor. The bracket James made for it is great, but it was making the mount sit a little off, so I hammered at an angle piece to let it sit a little straighter. Then I added a couple pieces of 1/8 steel between the bracket and the mount to help straighten it more. Also I expanded some of the bolt holes to raise the bracket higher by just a bit.

Motor mount and bracket re-installed
Bruce welded a couple pieces for me as well, so now I can move forward with finishing the battery racks. Unfortunately I have decided to cut the racks down to be more like battery trays, so a lot of James' hard work in making them is going to be cut away. Sorry James. I am going to strap the batteries in using two of the vertical supports on the racks, but cut the other two vertical supports off the firewall rack. The bumper rack will probably remain as is but I am going to bolt a flat piece of aluminum to the top of the open area so I can remove it to get the batteries in while it is installed.

Bumper rack with metal welded to bottom for mounting

Firewall rack with two brackets mounted to the front for Control board mounting

 During the week I will clean up the racks with acetone and drill the remaining holes needed. Next weekend I am shooting for cutting my 1/8" aluminum sheet to the size I need for the control board, cut the racks down, and start painting them, although I need the weather to cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment