Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rear Spring upgrade and Front Brakes

I used my first temporary moving permit to take ERX to Pep Boys on Monday and had the rear springs upgraded from the stock CRX springs to some slightly larger/stiffer Acura Integra springs. This lifted the rear about 2" and is perfect now. The tires were rubbing on the wheel well due to the larger wheels and the weight of the batteries in the hatch area. Once I sit my 250 lbs in the car, it sat real low and any bump at all would cause the rear tires to rub. I took the car around town quite a bit after the upgrade and it drove real nice. I could drive much more confidently and hit bumps without worry. I may need to raise the front slightly, so either a spacer or an adjustable shock may be in order.

I also hoped to upgrade the front brakes to Integra calipers and rotors, but they said the knuckles on the car were not a correct fit, so I need to investigate this further. Maybe I need to find different knuckles. I may also need the Integra Master Cylinder to take full advantage.

As I was driving around town and with the problem of the tires rubbing resloved, I was listening for other sounds. Mainly the battery boxes in the hatch are squeaking, so I need to tighten those bolts a bit, or get some nylon washers to minimize the metal on metal rubbing. I still need to line the hole I made in the hatch for the boxes with some sort of rubber or nylon so the sides of the boxes aren't rubbing against the hatch floor. I also heard the plastic interior pieces making noise which is easily fixed, since I have not completely installed those pieces, so they are moving around more than usual.

I bought a couple cans of Plasti-dip while at PepBoys, so I will check out how that works on my old cracked Fenders to see what the color is and if it might match my white paint. I also bought a can of Blaze Blue to see what that looks like. I am thinking of Plasti-dipping my entire car or maybe just the new fenders and the front grill. I still need to find out if it is ok to use it on Fiberglass and if I should fix the couple little dings I made on the fiberglass fenders before applying the plasti-dip.

Tomorrow I will try to set up the BAR referee inspection for early next week. If I pass, that will be a great day and another milestone in this horrendously long project.

I will try to get some more photos up and maybe some video so this doesn't turn into a completely text oriented blog. Holidays are a tough time of year for me to get work done on the car, so it may take me a bit, but I'll get them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment