Sunday, March 24, 2013

Slight Sigh

Bad news - I did not have time or a hoist to remove the motor today.

Good news - I looked in the starter motor hole and put my fingers in. The coupler was able to spin around the motor shaft. After a few revolutions it kind of stuck to the shaft, so I used that to try and figure out if the tranny input shaft was ok. I put the car in gear and tried to spin the motor with my hand. I couldn't spin it, which is a very good sign that the input shaft is ok. I am hoping all that happened was the set screw came loose and the key came out, or the key was weak and just snapped. I think I got a key from OSH, not thinking it needed to be any specific hardness or heat treated. Also, I am not sure if I added thread lock to the set screw or not. I was told by the engineer who made the coupler that it was taper lock and it did need to be tapped onto the shaft, so I believe the original fit was very tight. Not sure if the coupler is still usable or not, but I think the motor shaft and input shaft for the tranny may be ok.

Next weekend I hope to take the motor off and maybe the transmission as well. I need to get a hoist to hold the motor while I disconnect it from the transmission.

Any of you know how to get bolts off that have red loctite on them? I think I read heat somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment